Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reflection on Mother's Day

Oh Mother's Day... my feelings toward such a holiday are hardly ecstatic. In the 1880s and 1890s there were several attempts to establish a Mother's Day, but they didn't succeed beyond the local level. However, President Woodrow Wilson made it an official national holiday in 1914. The holiday eventually became so highly commercialized that many, including its founder, Anna Jarvis, considered it a "Hallmark Holiday ", i.e. one with an overwhelming commercial purpose. So as many American families spend money on cards, my brother and I decided to share our money instead and simply enjoy the family outing for the day, a trip to Kincaids in Jack London Square, a restaurant that we have gone to now two years in the row. This would result in two near-identical photos...
Lunch went by exceedingly well. As usual, Cameron and I got the same mean as before, which we enjoyed. Why mess with something that works? Beyond that, once lunch had finished and we felt as if we could burst, my brother and I decided to stroll around the urban area, so close to Oakland's port, with a nice view of San Francisco in the distance. Not a bad day for Mother's Day in the least. Once we had gotten back with our Dad we made our way out to Dublin where we attended a rather nice size party in one of the gated communities that overlooks the entire valley. From up there, heated Foosball matches heated up between my step mother and I. It was one heck of an afternoon, we even managed a decent picture in.

No comments:

Post a Comment